Monday, February 14, 2011

I Know It's Working

Today is the starting of week 5.  Wow, just writing that is kind of amazing.  I've never done anything this regimented for five weeks.  I'm still not losing much weight. I'm still only down two pounds from when I started. But that's okay.  I know it's working.  I just really need to focus on my diet.  I say that it is working because regardless of the amount of weight I've lost I did something yesterday that before these 5 weeks I know I wouldn't have been able to do. 

Carson and I took my father-in-laws new hot rod for a quick spin around the block.  We were coming back up our street when the car died about a block away from our house.  My father-in-law didn't answer his phone, and it was a short distance from the house, that I just said I would go up to the house and get him.  Well, our street is on an incline.  It doesn't seem like much, but you feel it once you get to the top.  I started to walk, but then out of no where I decided to run.  I ran up the hill to the house and wasn't even short of breath.  My knees didn't hurt, and I was even wearing crappy shoes at the time instead of my tennies.  Five weeks ago I wouldn't have been able to do that.  I would have been so out of breath and my knees and back would have felt like they were going to explode with pain. 

So even though the scale says that I haven't changed much, I can feel the changes happening.  I can feel my joints and muscles getting stronger.  I can feel my lungs getting stronger and I can breath better.  I don't breath so hard that I feel like I'm going to pass out.  These little things are the things that keep me going.
In the words of Tom Petty:

Well I won't back down
No I won't back down
You can stand me up at the gates of hell
But I won't back down

No I'll stand my ground, won't be turned around
And I'll keep this world from draggin me down
gonna stand my ground
... and I won't back down

Hey baby, there ain't no easy way out
hey I will stand my ground
and I won't back down

Well I know what's right, I got just one life
in a world that keeps on pushin me around
but I'll stand my ground
...and I won't back down

No comments:

Post a Comment