Friday, February 18, 2011

Interesting Information

So I'm sitting on my bed eating lunch.  Alexis is taking a nap.  All of the sudden my phone rings so I answer it.  On the other line is my father-in-law. 

"I have a proposition for you." He says to me.
At this point I'm really curious what is going on.  Then he begins to tell me about his doctors appointment that he had today.  He is a bigger just like me and pretty much our whole family could use some weight loss.  So he told his doctor that it was frustrating that with a lot of things he has changed that he has only lost five pounds.  He told her that I have been working my tail off (I wish it could be a pun at this time) and have only lost a pound.  One of the things that she told him about was sleep apnea.  She said that sleep apnea can cause a whole mess of problems.  When we go to sleep at night, it is our bodies chance to replenish and revive itself in more ways than just feeling like you had a restful nights sleep.  It is also a time for the oxygen in our organs to be replenished.  This doctor said that people who suffer from sleep apnea have a really hard time losing weight because for some weird reason, and they don't know why this happens, it affects your thyroid.  Most people might not know what the thyroid does.  In a general sense, thyroid hormones are responsible for virtually all metabolic activity in the body from appetite to nerve function and cardiac (heart) function.   So it's a pretty important gland.  When these hormones are being affected, one of the big things that  is hit is your metabolism.  Every time you swallow a bite of sandwich or slurp a smoothie, your body works hard to process the nutrients you've eaten. Long after the dishes are cleared and the food is digested, the nutrients you've taken in become the building blocks and fuel needed by your body. Your body gets the energy it needs from food through the process of metabolism.  So it becomes the cause and effect scenario. 

My father-in-law is going to have a sleep apnea test done and next week when I go to the doctor I'm going to talk to him about that.  Good to get a little bit more information for all of us!

No comments:

Post a Comment